If you’ve ever considered working as a black cab driver then you might have wondered if you have to take care of your own insurance. The answer to this question is usually yes.
In addition to getting your own insurance as a black cab driver, there are other things you must do in order to be able to work legally. These include –
Apply for a private hire licence
The first step to becoming a black cab driver is to obtain a private hire taxi driving licence.
In order to be eligible for a private hire taxi driving licence you should meet the following criteria –
- Be at least 21 years old – You can technically apply for a private hire licence at 18 but you cannot be fully licenced and work until you’re 21
- Have a full driving licence – You need to hold a full UK or EU driving licence in order to a apply for a private hire taxi licence
- You are able to live and work in the UK – You will need to provide documentation to show this.
- Pass a medical examination – You will need to pass a medical examination in order to show that you’re pyhsically fit enough to work
- Be of good character – If you have any major convictions then it’s unlikely that you’ll be granted a private hire licence.
Learn the knowledge
If you want to work in London then you’ll need to pass a test known as ‘the Knowledge‘. The Knowledge is used to ensure that any newly licensed taxi drivers in London have a comprehensive knowledge of all the roads and landmarks in the capital. The test consists of a written exam and a series of interviews, where you’re tested on imaginary taxi journeys and you must demonstrate that you know the shortest route to take.
Other councils in the UK have their own competency tests although they’re usually not as tough as the Knowledge, if for no other reason that London is the UK’s largest city by far.
Getting black cab insurance
Once you have obtained a private hire taxi driving licence and are eligible to work, you must then get black cab insurance. You can get black cab insurance quotes from many insurance comparison sites online, who make it a simple process to obtain quotes from many different providers. Be sure to compare the quotes you get side-by-side to see which offers the best deal.