Types of Minibus Insurance

Insurance Tips / Thursday, July 25th, 2019

Driving a minibus comes with a good deal of responsibility, especially when you’re regularly transporting passengers. One of the main responsibilities of driving a minibus is making sure you have the right cover in place.

Below is a guide to minibus insurance, including the different cover options you can get and where to get minibus cover.

Cover options

  • Third party – Third party insurance is the minimum level of cover you’ll need in order for your minibus to be road legal. It’s the cheapest option and won’t provide any cover for your own vehicle since it’s primarily to protect other road users if you’re in an accident and to blame for it.
  • Third party, fire and theft – If you want to add more protection to a third party policy then you can get third party, fire and theft. As the name suggests, this will pay out for third parties as well as covering your own vehicle for fire and theft.
  • Comprehensive – A comprehensive policy is recommended if you can afford since it will provide the most protection for your minibus. As well as covering other motorists in accidents where you’re to blame, it will also cover your own vehicle. Fire and theft is usually included in comprehensive insurance as standard.
  • Public liability – If you’re using your minibus for hire or reward then public liability insurance is a must. This is because if one of your passengers were to be injured or killed as a result of your actions then you could easily find yourself facing a liability claim.
  • Breakdown cover – Breakdown cover is always important, particularly if you’re relying on your minibus to make a living. You might already have cover in place but even if you do it’s worth finding out how much it’d be to add it to your policy since you might be able to save money.

Where to get minibus insurance

If you’re looking to get minibus insurance cover now then there are many sites that enables you to get quotes in just a matter of minutes.

The type of cover you’ll need to get will depend on what you’re using your minibus for. If it’s for pleasure purposes only then a regular third party or comprehensive policy will be enough. If you’re using it for hire or reward, such as a school minibus then you’ll need to get school minibus insurance that includes things like public liability cover.